The New World Taihape Gumboot Gallop is scheduled for Saturday, 14 March 2020.
See the race day schedule for starting times of the different distance options.
150 Wairanu Rd, Taihape, New Zealand
All the event options will start in the paddock off Wairanu Road near the corner of Wairanu and Gorge Road, south of Taihape.
Getting to the venue
- Approaching Taihape from the South along SH1: Shortly after passing the settlement of Utiku, turn right into Gorge Road (the turn-off towards Gravity Canyon), approximately 6km south of Taihape. At the corner of Gorge Road and Wairanu Road, turn right into Wairanu Road. The event venue (150 Wairanu Rd) is about 750m along the road on your right.
- Approaching Taihape from the North along SH1: Proceed through town and head south on SH1 for about 6km. Turn left into Gorge Road (the turn-off towards Gravity Canyon). At the corner of Gorge Road and Wairanu Road, turn right into Wairanu Road. The event venue (150 Wairanu Rd) is about 750m along the road on your right.
Parking is provided in a large paddock off Wairanu Road directly adjacent to the event base. Please park in the paddock and not on Wairanu Road – volunteers will be on hand to direct you to the best parking spot. Please note that at the start of each of the day’s events, access to the parking area may be temporarily blocked to allow the safe passage of the event participants.
Race day refreshments
As this event is a major fundraiser for the St Joseph School, food prepared by the school will be (in the form of a sausage sizzle and awesome venison burgers) will be on sale. All proceeds will go directly to the school.
Keen Bean coffee cart, offering barista coffees and other refreshments (including AMAZING chocolate-covered coffee beans), will also be available on site.
Medals and prize-giving
Unique finishers medals will be awarded to finishers of all the event options in the New World Taihape Gumboot Gallop. Details to be announced.
- Prize giving will commence at 12:45pm.
- Spot prizes will be drawn and presented at prize giving. You have to be present to be eligible for a spot prize.
- Certificates will be awarded to the top 3 finishers in each of the events listed below. The winners in each event will receive free entry into the 2021 Gumboot Gallop.
- The Half Marathon Adventure Run
- The 12km Run and Walk
- The 5km Fun Run/walk
- Online results will show overall placings as well as your placing in your relevant age and gender categories:
- Junior (Under 18)
- Open (18-39)
- Veteran (40-49)
- Master (50-59)
- Grandmaster (60-69)
- Great grandmaster (70+)
As the majority of the course is run along easily accessible public roads, a compulsory gear list is not specified. However, participants are reminded that conditions may be changeable – please consider the conditions and dress accordingly.
Health and safety
The course is run on very low volume public roads, but note that all roads are open to the traffic. A comprehensive traffic management plan will be in place to assist in the safety of participants on course.
Medical support will be on hand at the event in the case of any medical emergencies.
All aid stations will have first aid kits available, and many volunteers along the course will be first aid certified.
For details about the number and placement of aid stations please refer to the course map and descriptions.
All aid stations will serve water as well as an electrolyte drink. A selection of fruit will also be available at the aid stations and at the finish.